Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rants About Travelling.

Source: Tumblr.
Good idea isn't it marking places we've been to? 
I have the same idea for my house in the future, but I'll draw a string 
from the marked visited place, and attach a picture of when I was there.:)
 

I LOVE travelling. In fact, I don't mind living in a tiny house, driving a tiny car, if it means I get to travel. I'd probably blow most of my salary on travelling. I have been very blessed to have parents who consider travelling as an important learning process, which means that me and my siblings get to travel quite often. (yay!)

For me the anticipation is always the best part. Googling where to go, the picking out what to wear, packing things, sleepless night due to dire excitement (especially if I have an early flight, then I'll just pull an all-nighter), the drive to the airport, looking for the check-in counter on the airport screen, lining up for check-in, going thhrough immigration, the walk to the waiting room, and waiting for boarding. No matter how many times I do it, this routine just NEVER gets old. It always makes me feel all tingly. All butterfly-in-my-stomach nervous. My brother gets exasperated a lot because I squeal so much out of excitement during this process.

Then,of course the long flight is just as exciting. The in-flight movie, the in-flight food, and of course, reading a book. I don't know if it's just me, but reading a book in a flight to a holiday destination is just so different than reading at home. The whole atmosphere of being confined 50,000 feet above the ground with a book, makes it that much more interesting I think. Then, there's the talking to strangers part. We usually travel together as a family, and there are 5 of us. So, being the eldest, I always end up being alone (they pair up in 2's: mom's paired up with my sister, dad's with my brother), and sitting next to a (usually friendly, and chatty) strangers. On my flight to Rome, I sat next to a friendly Italian gentleman, who taught me Italian, the difference between white and red wine (and which compliments what food best), what the best kinds of pastas are, and which part of Italia is filled with friendly people, and which aren't, and how important a family is, in exchange of me telling him how lovely KL and Bali are (I'm a better listener, and he talks a lot so, we're good). All within the 6 hours flight (We had to transit in Doha, so this is a Doha-Roma flight).

Then once we landed, there's a whole new excitement of being in a place I have never been before. The smell of the air, the environmental ambient, the foreign language on signboards and those blaring out of the airport speakers, and a whole different crowd than what we have back home. It's just so amazing! Then once we step out of the airport, the first misty, chilly winter air (we usually travel in late autumn/winter) that hits my face, always sends me off to another round of fresh frenzy.

When we were in London, we rented (what looked like) an apartment unit which were located right on the opposite of an office building. I still remember watching the building intently, trying to see what those people are working on and how they work, and things like that amuse me too. Not to mention local TV programs without subs, food (we overdosed on lentil soup in Turkey), public transport, how people dress, and behave, the arrangement of convenient store, the local currency, well, basically EVERYTHING (including what seem to be some mundane stuff) excites me.

But what interest a person really differs from one to another. My dad and my mom for example, are more interested in nature views (other than shopping), my sister is in that age where all she's interested about is taking her pictures to be put in her social networking site(which is a good thing, she doesn't complain too much as long as there's a camera present), my brother meanwhile, is interested in physical activities, strolling and sight-seeing doesn't count. While me, I'm interested in cultures (which is probably why mundane everyday life excites me), and architecture (preferably old ones). Strolling around the city is my kind of thing.   I like architecture, but old buildings are my favorite though. Anything with masonry, high arches, rose window, flying buttresses, and gargoyles..oh alright, alright! I love gothic cathedrals!!! I almost wept when I went into Notre-Dame. heck, I almost wept when I saw the cathedral outside Piazza del Duomo from afar, heck, I almost wept when I saw a glimpse of St.Paul's from the top of red London bus. I can rant on and on and on, when it comes to old buildings. Like how gorgeous the mosques in Turkey are (especially, the Blue Mosque, which of course, for me to like it, is an old masonry building), and their intricate, baroque and rococco decorations in the gorgeous, gorgeous Dolmabahche palace, but I'll just stop right here and say, to set things straight, I JUST LOVE OLD BUILDINGS! I'm kind of relieved actually that the sight of a majestic building sends me in a spasm of excitement, it means that somehow, there's still an architect living somewhere deep within me, lols. (btw, Borobudur and Prambanan are among my favorites too. old? check. masonry? check).

I'm really grateful that I get the chance to actually get to experience everything that I have experienced.To me exposure to the way of life of the people from other countries is plays a crucial role in shaping our thoughts. It opens our minds and broadens our perspectives and point of views, it improves our people skills, it enhances our awareness of what goes on around us, and most importantly, helping us find a common ground with those foreign to us, and consequently, I think it is not too much to say that it arms us with tolerance to others, and love for peace.

I really really hope that I'll be blessed with another adventure to another foreign land in the (hopefully really near) future. Thinking about it is enough to make me all tingly inside!

**Additional note: I just saw Adam's album from when he went travelling in Barcelona and I'm so jealous!

1 comment:

Pages - Menu