Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sewing Project


I love clothes. But the thing is, I'm a very particular person. I have a very specific ( and slightly eclectic, might I add) taste, which of course is a problem for me when it comes to buying clothes. Being kind of tall, and largely built doesn't really help with the selection of clothes either. So, the only solution to that is: Sewing it myself!!

My aunt is an excellent seamstress, so I spent 3 weeks in Indonesia learning (fast track) how to sew back in 2010. And I bought a tiny sewing machine so that I can sew just anytime I want. I've sewn several pieces which I designed myself. Oh, no, wait, one piece was inspired by Hana Tajima. I saw this lovely skirt she had on in her blog, and fell in love with it. Waited for it to be sold in Maysaa, but being me, I ran out of patience really fast, and I decided to sew it (by hand, mind you. because this was pre-sewing machine, pre-sewing lesson times). With my work amount in the office and the great procrastinator in me, it took me almost a month! and the sewing was really terrible, lol, because towards the end, I just wanted to get it over and done with. hahaha.

This skirt was the end product

Holy cricket! look at me back then! I was skinny! well, not skinny, but at least my chin hasn't decided to elope with another chin and decided to reside around my neck. Well, anyway, that was the start of a spark of interest in sewing.
And then, my first ever sewing project. A black jump-maxidress(?). This was the outcome of my 3-weeks sewing lesson in Indonesia. I had to make it from scratch. Sketching out the design I had in mind, looking for the suitable (and cheap!) material, measuring myself, coming up with a pattern, and finally putting the needle and thread in my material, and joining them together! I had loads of help with this one, since I'm a first timer, but I had loads of fun!

Sketching Lesson
Initial Sketch
Initial Sketch
Drawing Pattern
End Product! :D




And then, of course seeing ridiculously over-priced gorgeous clothing also has some effects on my desire to make my own clothing. I saw some cape-like kaftan by Rizalman I think, and I thought I just had to have it, but not pay for it. So what did I do? Sew it!


That's not the best picture I have of the cape, but It's the only one I have. :( sorry.

And since then I've been sewing some outer-wear, slouchy batwing cardigan, and kimonos! I'm so happy with them since, you have no idea how hard it is to find a decent kimono(more like yukata) you can wear as an outer wear. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the said garments.

The most recent achievement was another cape-kaftan to wear to my best friend's engagement! I have only just finished it, and I am happy with how it looks (despite the fact that it looks a bit lingerie-ish). She decided what colour she wanted us to wear, and left the design to us. So this is what I came up with.


I even saw Lily Van Der Woodsen wearing something similar as her nightgown. So I'm not sure how to feel about that. On one end, she has immaculate taste, but on the other, she wears it as a lingerie. Not sure what it says about the design above.lol. I like it though. I can even pair it with jeans. So, it's very practical.

What I realized when I'm sewing this (it took me a month btw. I really have to work on my procrastination), that sewing soothes me. I'm instantly transported to another place. A happy place. The same goes with cooking and playing the piano. So I might make this a habit. Heck, it saves me a lot of money, and gets me a lot of new clothes that I actually like!

I'm looking forward to sewing and designing again! Who knows, maybe I can pull a Zaha Hadid (you know, architect turned fashion designer), and make this a career.

Will (hopefully) post the finished product soon! (meanwhile, I have got to get a decent camera, and maybe bribe my brother to take a picture of me)

'Till then!
xx


2 comments:

Pages - Menu