Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sustainable living

I went to the market today to get some food, and I was stunned!

I bought some leafy greens, tomatoes and chillies and it cost me RM 30.90. I was so surprised! How can some vegetable cost that much? The price of food is obsolete these days.

Being the paranoid person that I am, of course my brain started plotting plans to not depend on suppliers for food. I hate to think that they have a control over me. Like they can do what they want and there's nothing I can do because they're the suppliers and I'm the consumer, and I highly depend on them.

The first thing that came to my mind was all hippy "I should go live in the jungle! yeah, that's it. Just forget about the worldly goods, and just be one with nature" but after 5 minutes or so I realised that it was a crazy plan.

Then I remember that a friend of mine kind of live in the jungle. She told me that when she needs some vegetable and some protein, she can just go to her backyard, and pick some greens, and then she can go to the stream, and fish. And that's one day's meal done.

I remember thinking that that is so wonderful! I loved the idea of not having to rely on some other people for food.

So, my brain started hatching a new plan (I wish it would work that fast when I'm doing my thesis. -__-") Sustainable Living!

Me and my partner are architects, so the first thing that came to my mind was: low energy building! I think energy is one of the major expense in a household. So, by installing proper ventilation and shades, I can minimise energy used for cooling. And then we can start implementing rain water harvesting system for water sources. And to top it off, solar panels!! (then theres other things like low energy light bulbs and what nots) I think that would've cut our expenses by half!

And then for food, I think I would like to at least grow some of my veggies in the backyard. Spinach, tomatoes, chillies, green beans, water spinach, and pucuk paku. And I would also like to have a chicken coop in my back yard. for eggs.

Then, it would be so wonderful, if we can live near the stream, and put a net there to catch some fish. We can put the net there at night, and go check it in the morning! or something.

Well, that's the rough idea of how I wanted it to be. I think some time around last year, I did blog that I wanted to grow my own food, make my own jam, butter and cheese, and make my own clothes. I still find the idea fascinating, but I think this idea is much more logic and achievable.

So here's to sustainable living! *clink*

7 comments:

  1. its something to consider, but 2 main issues to consider.
    1) where can we find a clean stream of water with fishes?
    2) u cant live without air conditioning ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WET BLANKET! >X(

    1) Janda Baik. Ask Hajar.
    2) well... design a house with proper ventilation! (or a special room, ONE special room with airconditioning for me to melarikan diri when its too hot)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CLINK!

    come! let us all move to the jungle...and PS; this is my thesis tajuk ahhaah...we can do research together!! yaaay

    ReplyDelete

Pages - Menu