Monday, September 6, 2010

Malaysia - Indonesia (again)


image: photobucket.com, syahmiyummy

First and foremost I would like to state firmly, that this is not a post about bashing either countries, people who stumbles across this post hoping that, will be disappointed, but I beg of you to read along. This might just change your perceptions.

I am Indonesian by nationality, I live in Malaysia, but proud as I am of where I come from, I am just a human being, and I refuse to be determined by my nationality or where I live in, for I believe humanity goes way beyond geographical boundaries.

I have had my say about these issues before, and I will try to voice my views as long as this issues still go on, because that is the least I can do. To say something, and hope to God, that it will bring some good.

It saddens me tremendously that these issues don't seem to reach its end. It saddens me that the fight is fought without seeing (or refusing to see) that there, in fact is, no issues at all, and mostly, it saddens me that people are so quick to jump on the "I wanna hate each other, I don't quite see the reason, but dammit! I hate them!" wagon.

Now, I would like to state my opinion on the "stealing and claiming" one's culture issues(because it seem to be one of the leading cause of the feud), in the hope of shedding some light that no such issue exists. Before Malaysia and Indonesia were formed(countries are after all just a determination of boundary lines of what belongs to which) the cultures have already been around. And seeing that both countries are located near each other, isn't it just logical that both shares some similar cultures? Some old folks songs, traditional games and costumes, and language. And seeing that way back then people travel back and forth both countries to berdagang, it is only logical that both countries swap some cultures with each other. I mean, isn't that how Islam traveled too? The idea of a country claiming a culture is therefore prespostorous, and almost childish. Oh, and if its about the Kecak dance, the faults lie on a certain tv channel, and they have apologized on the matter.

And about some people treating other people from other nationalities badly, please, those characteristics do not reflect the countries I love so much. Indonesians are one of the politest people I know. They smile and greet you, even if you are a stranger, they are always keen to offer a helping hand should you need one. The same can be said about Malaysians. Malaysians, coming from a culturally diverse country that it is, are the most tolerant people I know. They are friendly, and these beatings of TKI, unfortunate as they were, does not reflect Malaysians. I am an Indonesian, and I have been treated perfectly well here. My siblings are Malaysians, and they were treated perfectly well the last time they were in Indonesia. They even made some new Indonesian friends. Now, if we were to start treating each other badly, cursing each other, ridiculing each other, wouldn't that just tarnish the name of our beloved countries? wouldn't that call for wrong perceptions by other people about the real us? Why should we let the actions of a certain party cloud our views of Indonesia/Malaysia? Why should we listen to people telling us to hate each other? Isn't the world already a messed up place without prejudices from our parts? Isn't racism a crime of humanity?

NOBODY is determined by one's nationality or race.

My Malaysian readers, a certain party may have clouded and distorted the views of Indonesians about Malaysians, and somehow caused them to react negatively to you, but trust me on this, those are not how the real Indonesians are. My Indonesian readers, a certain people in Malaysia may have treated you badly, but I promise you, that does not reflect the real Malaysians.

I do not know what is the real issue behind this propaganda masked in the form of "nationalism". But I still stand my grounds. I still refuse to be prejudiced. I still refuse to generalize. I still refuse to be racist. And I still believe that both Indonesians and Malaysians are way better than what is portrayed of them these days.

Hatred really is a strong emotion, it will cloud your perspectives, and fogs your views and stops you from seeing the real picture.

if you have to hate, hate on all the right reasons.

Hate prejudices.
Hate racism.
Hate hatred.
Hate on anything that may divide us.

We have all seen what a war can do to a nation. Now, is that really what we wish for ourselves? For our loved ones? For our countries?

I wish none of that.
I wish peace.
I VOTE PEACE.

How about you?


image: Katey Puley, Flickr.

6 comments:

  1. again, good job ska! and i love the peace superheroes and the sidekick picture. they kick-ez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said.
    :)

    for what it's worth, i love everything about indonesia! the people, the language, the culture. fuh top notch okay!

    i dont get why people are making such a big deal out of such a small issue anyway. but for as long as there are people like you and me, i think the world will be fine for at least a tad bit longer.

    :)

    oh and by the way, Selamat Hari Raya. :D

    ReplyDelete

Pages - Menu