Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hijjab.



Salam all,

All this while, when people ask me why I decided to cover up my answer was just “because of God”, because that REALLY was the only reason I did it in the first place.

God loves His servants, more than we can ever imagine. He is the most merciful. He always puts me back on His track. Always. No matter how many times i defy Him, when i seek, He always lets me see, Alhamdulillah, and how can I keep on turning my back on His Hidayah?

I love God, and by finally covering up, I am just doing what was asked of me. It was also a mark of me surrendering all of me to God. That’s it. I never questioned, or wondered why I was asked to do so, nor have I actually reallygrasped the beauty of the concept of covering up, or modesty.

Until recently.

One of the Hijabis I look up to, Hana Tajima Simpson(this is going to get my blog hits from google by those looking for Hana’s blog again. Haih. -_-. ) says this in her interview with The Independent.


"Islam has a really amazing definition of beauty, Hijab is about how a woman can be beautiful without placing overt emphasis on her sexuality"




And finally something clicked, light bulb and all.


All this while, I consider myself “sacrificing” my beauty for my love of God, and I have been thinking it all wrong, Astaghfirullah, may God forgive my ignorance.

Covering up is actually really beautiful. The idea of making your beauty exclusive, and that no stranger can see your beauty, makes you priceless, and as my wise close friend, Hajare puts it, it protects us from men treating us like a sex-object, ecstatic pleasure, image driven 'girls' oogling us freely. We can actually go through crowds practically invisible. We need not worry about getting groped, whistled at like a dog, or stared at.

And it is not just the idea of covering up. It is the whole concept of modesty. Of how you should lower your glances, of how you don’t wear something that will draw attention towards yourself and how you look. I just really love the idea of how you can walk the street practically invisible. And by lowering my glance I can think that no one is looking at me, or can see me at all, for that matter. You know, like when you were in a hide and seek game when you were little, if you cant see them, they cant see you.

I’m really not good with words, so I don’t really know how to put it, but I find the whole idea of walking in public unnoticed really beautiful. You don’t have to care about other’s perception towards you, and right there and then, its just you, your thoughts and God. Nobody to impress, no material things to worry about. Just contentment and peaceful bliss.

Yesterday, the wonderful Hajare Aman Shah of blockspotted.blogspot.com, came up with a wonderfully beautiful video project for the HRC (Hijjab Roundup Campaign), and it strengthened further my feelings towards the beauty of modesty.

May God bless your efforts Hajare.

So, here it is ladies and gentlemen, the much spoken of video, of the HRC campaign. Hopefully, it touches you as much as it touched me. InsyaAllah.


7 comments:

  1. Great post! I love Hana's style so much. She is amazing. Is your headscarf from Maysaa? You look lovely in it. It's in my wishlist... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey. thanks a lot!:) no, actually that scarf is the one i made myself. But, i got Maysaa's scarf as well. its great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, where are you from?
    i've been looking for that thing (that you wearing inside before scarf), how can i find that? i really really want to have it, do you want to give me some information please? :)
    i'm from indonesia..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Indonesian by nationality, but i live in Malaysia. wht u see in the picture is what I made myself, but i think I know what you're looking for, and you can get the fabulous snood at Maysaa.com :).

    ReplyDelete

Pages - Menu